UPDATED: February 2019
We are a participant in the EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield Frameworks, as operated by the U.S. Department of Commerce (collectively, "Privacy Shield"). Details of our compliance with the Privacy Shield can be found here.
- We use personal data to respond to any inquiries or messages you may send us, market products, and fulfil any orders you place, among other things.
- We may share data as part of the recruitment and hiring process, to communicate with you in response to an inquiry or complaint, to provide marketing information, or to complete a transaction.
- You can raise any questions or concerns about your privacy to DataPrivacy@acco.com or by clicking the Data Rights Access link in the footer.
What does this Policy cover?
This Policy describes how ACCO Brands and other companies in the ACCO Brands group collect, use and transfer data when you use our website or online services or when you contact us.
It describes your privacy rights, which depending on your location, may include the right to object to various types of processing by ACCO Brands. Further information regarding your rights and how to exercise them are included in the section "What rights do I have?"
What type of data do we collect?
We collect and process various personal data about you when you interact with our company or our websites or when you communicate with us. These include:
- Your name,
- Your personal or business email address,
- Your personal or business phone number,
- Your country or state of residence,
- Your username and password if you create an account,
- Your age, and
- Your marketing preferences, including all permissions you have granted.
How do we use your data and what is the legal basis for this?
We process your personal data for the following purposes:
- In order to fulfill a contract or to take steps in connection with a contract, including:
- Verifying your identity,
- Accepting payments,
- Communicating with you,
- Providing customer service, and
- Arranging the delivery or another provision of products, prizes or services.
- In order to conduct our business and to pursue our legitimate interests:
- We use your data to provide you with products and services you request and to respond to comments or complaints you may submit to us.
- We monitor the use of our websites, online platforms, products, content, and services online as well as offline, for purposes such as improving and protecting them.
- We use the data you provide to us to personalize our website, products or services for you.
- If you provide a credit or debit card as a means of payment, we will also use the services of third parties to verify the validity of the Sort Code, account number and card number to prevent fraud (see below for data transfer details).
- We use the data you provide to examine complaints made by you or others regarding our website, products or services.
- We use the data you provide to respond to inquiries or messages you send to us.
- We will use data in connection with legal requests, for compliance, regulatory and investigative purposes (including the disclosure of such data in connection with court cases or legal disputes).
- We will use the data of some individuals to invite them to join our marketing research.
- We use the data of potential applicants to assist in the recruitment and onboarding process.
- If you grant permission, we will use your personal data for the following activities:
- We will send you direct marketing materials regarding our relevant products and services or other products and services, which are provided by us, our affiliates and carefully selected business partners.
- We may collect or use data on other occasions, at which time we will ask for your permission for the specified purpose.
- For legally required purposes in response to lawful requests by regulatory, civil or criminal authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
Which data do you have to disclose?
The disclosure of your name and contact details is mandatory, as we need this information to contact you.
The disclosure of any further data is optional. If you do not provide that information, however, our response time to your messages may be delayed.
With whom, where and when do we share this data?
We may transfer your personal data to other companies in the ACCO Brands group in order to fulfill the purposes mentioned above.
If we receive a request from regulatory, civil or criminal authorities, we will transfer personal data to those authorities if this is required by law or if this is required to protect our legitimate interests according to the applicable law.
If a business section of our company is sold or integrated into a different company, we may disclose your data to our consultants and to the consultants of the potential buyer and will pass these on to the new owners of the company.
We will also transfer your personal data to processors, who will process this data on behalf of ACCO Brands for the above-described purposes. These processors include providers of website hosting, maintenance, call center operators, advertising agencies, as well as shipping and logistics providers.
For individuals in the European Economic Area (the “EEA”), we will only transfer data outside the EEA if sufficient privacy is ensured. This is the case if there is an adequacy decision by the Commission of the European Union (the “EU Commission”) or if the data is adequately protected by: (1) standard contract terms permitted by the EU Commission, (2) a relevant Privacy Shield certification or (3) Binding Corporate Rules. A copy of the relevant mechanism for any transfer is available for your review upon request by sending an email to DataPrivacy@acco.com.
What rights do I have?
If you are located in the EEA, the United Kingdom, or Switzerland, you have the following rights:
- To request access to information regarding the processing of your data;
- To correct, delete or limit the processing of your personal data; or
- If we process your data on the basis of your permission or to fulfill a contract, you can ask us to provide you with a structured, machine-readable format of your data that you have submitted to us.
Furthermore, you can object to the processing of your personal data under certain conditions (especially if we do not need to process your data in order to fulfill a contractual or other legal obligation or if we use the data for direct advertising).
These rights may be limited, for example, if during the fulfillment of your request, data about another person were to be disclosed or if you ask us to delete data that is stored according to a legal obligation.
In order to execute these rights, you can click on the Data Rights Access link in the footer of our webpage, which is specifically designed to allow you to easily exercise your rights, or by contacting us using the details below. If you have any unresolved concerns, you have the right to file a complaint with the data protection authority in your region or wherever you feel that a violation may have occurred.
How do I contact you?
We hope that we were able to answer your questions regarding the processing of your data. If you have concerns regarding the processing of your data, you can contact us at the following address:
ACCO Brands Corporation
Four Corporate Drive,
Lake Zurich, IL, 60047-8997
Phone Number: 1-800-222-6462
How long will you keep my data?
We will keep your data for as long as needed to complete the purposes for which it was collected and in accordance with our data retention guidelines.